Boss wants me to program

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Tue Jun 28 20:28:27 EDT 2005

xeys_00 at yahoo.com wrote:

> Ok, sorry to throw perhaps unrelated stuff in here, but I want everyone
> to know what we have right now in the office. We started with an
> electric typewriter and file cabinets. We were given an old 386 with a
> 20 mb hard drive about 5 years ago, and we moved everything over to a
> very very old version of msworks on msdos 6. Depending on what we are
> given(for reasons best left alone, I won't explain why we can't
> actually COUNT on the actual buying of a new system), we will be left
> with this relic, or be given a 486. Maybe a old pentium 90 or so. I may
> try to convince the boss that I can write dos programs for the existing
> machine. If we get any kind of upgrade, I'm sure it will be able to run
> linux with X and a low overhead window manager. If that happened, I'd
> be able to use python and this "tk" thing you have talked about and
> make something that will work for him, am I correct? The other
> alternative is to install console mode linux on it and hope that the
> ncurses library can be used by python. The system could be as low as a
> 486 dx2 66 with maybe 16 megs of ram. Well, I just thought I'd give you
> people more info on the situation.
>
> Xeys

Check the yellow pages in your area (or closest large city if you're not
in one), for used computer stores. Or just start calling all the
computer stores in your area and ask them if they have any used
computers for sale.  I was able to get a Dell Pentium 3 for $45 dollars
last year for a second computer to put Linux on.  I just asked him if he
had any old computers for really cheep that booted, and that's what he
found in the back.  I just needed to add ram and a hard drive.

You might be surprised what you can get used if you ask around.

Cheers,
Ron