Scaling down (was Re: Dealing with marketing types...)

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Jun 12 09:31:10 EDT 2005

In article <7xwtp09jh3.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
Paul Rubin  <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

>What example?  Slashdot?  It uses way more hardware than it needs to,
>at least ten servers and I think a lot more.  If LJ is using 6x as
>many servers and taking 20x (?) as much traffic as Slashdot, then LJ
>is doing something more efficiently than Slashdot.

So what?  I think you're missing the real point of the article: using
LAMP scales *DOWN* in a way that enterprise systems don't.  Getting your
first prototype up and running is far more important than sheer
scalability, and LAMP does have many mechanisms to obtain scalability
when it's needed.

f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n nx prgrmmng.