Resume after exception

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Jun 14 08:41:18 EDT 2005

    >> Is it possible to have an 'except' case which passes control back to
    >> the point after the exception occurred?

    Peter> Basically no, although I could imagine some gross hack with the
    Peter> frame info and some bytecode hacks that effect a "goto".

Someone (I forget who) posted an autoload module (appended) awhile ago for
Python that does a reasonable job of recovery in the case of
use-before-import.  I modified it slightly and use it on my laptop.
Examples:

    % python
    Python 2.5a0 (#77, May 14 2005, 14:47:06)
    [GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1671)] on darwin
    >>> time.time()
    found time in xmlrpclib module
    1118752288.5277729
    >>> datetime.datetime.now()
    found datetime in xmlrpclib module
    datetime.datetime(2005, 6, 14, 7, 31, 43, 136432)
    >>> math.sin(7)
    autoloading math
    0.65698659871878906

Note that it's far from perfect (to wit: the weird fact that "time" and
"datetime" are found in the xmlrpclib module).

Skip