tkinter radiobutton

William Gill noreply at gcgroup.net
Tue Jun 28 14:20:45 EDT 2005

I thought the problem was practical, not philosophical, but what do I
know I'm the one asking for help.

I have radiobuttons arranged in 4 rows of 4 buttons each ( 4 rows and 4
columns )

The user can select no more than 1 choice in any column, but any number
in any row.

   Restated:
       columns can have 0 or 1 selection
       rows can have 0,1,2,3, or 4 selections.

Columns can be restricted to 0 or 1 selection through the use of an
intVar. So we now have 4 intVars (control variables)

The app needs to examine the buttons and aggregate the selections for
each row, efectively converting columnar information to row information.

one solution:

Create 4 intVars
     Column0 = intVar()
     Column1 = intVar()
     Column2 = intVar()
     Column3 = intVar()

Assign  0, 1, 2, 3 and 4 to values to correspond to the row number.
Row1rb1  =  Radiobutton(self, variable = Column0, value = 1)
Row1rb2  =  Radiobutton(self, variable = Column1, value = 1)
Row1rb3  =  Radiobutton(self, variable = Column2, value = 1)
Row1rb4  =  Radiobutton(self, variable = Column3, value = 1)
Row2rb1  =  Radiobutton(self, variable = Column0, value = 2)
Row2rb2  =  Radiobutton(self, variable = Column1, value = 2)
…
…
Row4rb4  =  Radiobutton(self, variable = Column3, value = 4)

to 'read' the user's response:

Loop through the 4 intVars 4 times; compare their value to the value for
the row being processed; if they are the same bitor a value to a
rowVariable i.e. convert the column information (intVar values) to row
information.

Bill