Python & firewall control (Win32)

Tim Williams listserver at tdw.net
Fri Jun 17 07:09:02 EDT 2005

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Tim Williams wrote:

> Does anyone know of (personal/desktop) firewall that can be controlled
> via Python, or a Python Firewall package, or even something like DAXFi
> but not dormant ?

http://wipfw.sourceforge.net/

import os
def deny(src, dst, proto="all"):
  cmd = "ipfw add deny " + proto + " from " + src + " to " + dst
  os.system(cmd)

ipfw for Windows is technically in beta, but ipfw itself is rock solid.

tom

Tom,  many thanks for that.   I'm actually looking for a firewall (packet
filter) I can control in realtime from a Python application, or  even a
Win32 equivalent of http://woozle.org/~neale/src/ipqueue/ .

Though if I can stop & restart ipfw in a fraction of a second from within a
Python app then the result would be the same I guess.   I will have a play
with it.

Any other suggestions gratefully received too

Cheers

Tim