Python choice of database

Hughes, Chad O chad.hughes at pnl.gov
Mon Jun 20 14:27:50 EDT 2005

One db that is very much worth trying is Firebird.  This is an open
source Interbase 6.0 (Borland product) compatible db.  It is a
SourceForge project.  There are three versions: the super server which
is a client/server db, classic server (the one that I am very familiar
with) which is also a client/server db, and the embedded server which is
a standalone.  In order to access the database you need the open source
module KInterbasdb which is also a SourceForge project.  KInterbasdb is
a Python DB API 2.0 database driver.

Firebird has a lot of documentation.  Moreover it was made based on the
Interbase 6.0, which is was made open source by Borland, so all of
Borland's documentation and tools apply as well.

Firebird can be found at:
http://firebird.sourceforge.net/

KInterbasdb can be found at:
http://kinterbasdb.sourceforge.net/