oddness in super()

Michael P. Soulier msoulier at digitaltorque.ca
Sat Jun 18 22:35:13 EDT 2005

On 18/06/05 Diez B. Roggisch said:

> Certainly a bug - but not in python. The super-method works for
> new-style classes only.
>
> The attached script reproduces your observed behaviour. So kit seems
> that whatever toolkit you use, it uses new-style classes on windows, and
> old-style ones on linux.

The code is identical on both.

I sort-of found the problem. I'm using Ubuntu Linux, and I found both
Python 2.3 and 2.4 installed. /usr/bin/python was 2.4, but things still
weren't working quite right, so I uninstalled all of the 2.3 packages.

Suddenly everything works. Not entirely sure why, but I guess the 2.4
interpreter was picking up libraries it shouldn't, or something.

Whether a new or old style class depends on wxPython, since my code is
subclassing from wx.Frame. I was concerned since the code is identical
on both platforms, but losing the 2.3 cruft seems to have fixed
something.

Thanks,
Mike

http://www.digitaltorque.ca