Two questions

rbt rbt at athop1.ath.vt.edu
Thu Jun 2 10:33:39 EDT 2005

Peter Hansen wrote:
> Philosophy not entirely aside, you should note that object code in any
> language can "easily" be reverse-engineered in the same way, with the
> only difference being the degree of ease involved.  If the code is worth
> enough to someone that they are willing to risk violating your license
> terms, they *will* be able to recover enough source code (whether it was
> Python, C, or assembly) to do what they need.

Don't intend to hijack this thread, but this bit interests me. I know
several accomplished C/assembly programmers who have told me that
reverse engineering object code from either of these two languages is
anything but trivial. Yet, I *hear* and *read* the opposite all of the
time. Can anyone actually demonstrate a decompile that mirrors the
original source?

Also, I'd venture to say that the number of people in the world who can
consistently reverse engineer object code is almost statistically
insignificant... sure, they are out there, but you'll win the lottery
before you meet one of them and most of them work for big, bad
government agencies ;)