MySQLDBAPI

Gregory Piñero gregpinero at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 08:37:19 EDT 2005

Hey guys,

I'm trying to install the MySQLDB API at my web host.  I only have
limited permissions on the system so I want to install it in my home
directory.  I'm having a lot of trouble though.

My first question is if there is anything built into python as far as
a Database API that will work with MySQL.  It seems like there should
be because Python without it is kinda useless for web development.  If
there is then I'd probably prefer to use that instead.

My next question is, any idea why my install attempts below don't work?

Here's my system info:
>>> print sys.version
2.4.1 (#1, Jun  6 2005, 13:31:05)
[GCC 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.2 2.96-112.7.2)]

Here are the steps I've taken trying to install it:

1. Download  MySQL-python-1.2.0.tar.gz from project page into my home directory
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python

2. tar xvzf MySQL-python-1.2.0.tar.gz

3. Do these commands:
>> cd MySQL-python-1.2.0
>> python2.4 setup.py install --home=~
running install
running build
running build_py
running build_ext
building '_mysql' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I/usr/local/include/python2.4 -c _mysql.c
-o build/temp.linux-i686-2.4/_mysql.o
-I'/usr/local/mysql/include/mysql'
_mysql.c:41:19: mysql.h: No such file or directory
_mysql.c:42:26: mysqld_error.h: No such file or directory
_mysql.c:43:20: errmsg.h: No such file or directory

4. I also tried running build:
>> python2.4 setup.py build
running build
running build_py
running build_ext
building '_mysql' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I/usr/local/include/python2.4 -c _mysql.c
-o build/temp.linux-i686-2.4/_mysql.o
-I'/usr/local/mysql/include/mysql'
_mysql.c:41:19: mysql.h: No such file or directory
_mysql.c:42:26: mysqld_error.h: No such file or directory
_mysql.c:43:20: errmsg.h: No such file or directory

(I don't know if I need to run build first or what)

I found some help on http://docs.python.org/inst/inst.html
but I don't really understand what it's talking about.
I also read the README file in the download but it didn't help either.

Any ideas would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

Greg