Information about Python Codyng Projects Ideas

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jun 1 18:00:56 EDT 2005

"M1st0" <mistobaan at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1117645221.920027.224880 at g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I have read the proposed Ideas from
>
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/CodingProjectIdeas
>
> And the more interesting for me were those about Optimization.
>
> MemoryUsageProfiler
> ProfileReplacementProject
> SpeedUpInterpreterStartup
>
> But I many of this there are very few information or nothing about of
> what is really needed.
> I am taking a Master in Computer Science so I know many of the issues
> in this topics, but I would like some hints and every usefull
> information.
>
> I hope that here is the right place for this kind of discussion.

Definitely.  Brett Cannon just completed his CS thesis on the possible
speed benefit of certain type-inferencing in the compiler.  He posted a
link about a week ago just after successfully defending it.

I believe some of the project suggestions may have been stimulated by his
request, over a year ago, for thesis project suggestions, of which he got
many.  If/when you get more info on those specific suggestions, perhaps you
could add some of it to the Wiki.

As to startup: while 2.4 is generally faster than 2.3, etc, the time it
takes to get to the first line of code increased, due to behind-the-scenes
imports and maybe something else.  There was some discussion of this on the
Python development list (gatewayed to gmane.lang.python.devel).  I think
the consensis was that this was not good, but that a real fix, if one was
possible, required a more thorough reexamination of the startup process
than any developer could do when 2.4 was otherwise ready to be released.
But check the pydev archives.

Terry J. Reedy