When someone from Britain speaks, Americans hear a "British accent"...

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Jun 28 15:23:11 EDT 2005

On 2005-06-28, muldoon <brian9511 at dslextreme.com> wrote:

> Americans consider having a "British accent" a sign of sophistication
> and high intelligence.

That depends on the accent.  I believe that's probably true for
the educated south of England, BBC, received pronunciation.  I
don't think that's true for some of the other dialects from
northern areas (e.g. Liverpool) or the "cockney" accent.

> Many companies hire salespersons from Britain to represent
> their products,etc. Question: When the British hear an
> "American accent," does it sound unsophisticated and dumb?

I too have always wondered about this.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Mr and Mrs PED, can
                                  at               I borrow 26.7