Thoughts on Guido's ITC audio interview

Delaney, Timothy (Tim) tdelaney at avaya.com
Mon Jun 27 17:56:00 EDT 2005

Aahz wrote:

> Perhaps.  But adding the time to learn those IDEs in addition to the
> time
> to learn Java is ridiculous.  I've been forced to use Java a bit to
> support credit cards for our web application; I've got a friend whose
> Java-vs-Python argument hinges on the use of Eclipse; I was unable to
> make use of Eclipse in the time I had available for the project.

Absolutely. I've really tried to use Eclipse - it's the standard editor
for my current project (Java - blegh!). I *hate* it. It's huge, bulky,
slow ... I've gone back to my text editor. I'm a hell of a lot more
productive because the IDE isn't getting in my way.

The only IDE I've ever actually liked using was Metrowerks CodeWarrior
(on MacOS classic). Simple, unobtrusive. Good project management,
without trying to control every aspect of the development process. And
it allowed me to use the entire screen for editing if I wished whilst
still having everything readily available.

Tim Delaney