Extensions on Linux: import without underscore?

James Carroll mrmaple at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 01:09:00 EDT 2005

Thanks Robert.

> Call it bright.so .

If I rename it bright.so, then I get the error:
  ImportError: dynamic module does not define init function (initbright)

I'm using swig with the module declaration
  %module bright

I've looked at some other source, and it looks like there are some
good reasons to have a bright.py that passes calls on to _bright.

> If at all possible, you should use distutils to build Python extensions.

 Where can I find similar distutils C++ examples?  Can it do most of
what Scons does?

> If you must use Scons, read
>
>    http://www.scons.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PythonExtensions

Very nice, strange that didn't show up for all my googles of scons
python, etc.  I like how it uses distutils to get flags...  I'm
extending wxPython, so I'm using the wxWidgets
env.ParseConfig('wx-config --cppflags --libs')   Technique... I'll
have to ponder using one or the other or both.  Hmm....

-Jim