Dealing with marketing types...

Drazen Gemic here at there.net
Sat Jun 11 18:56:48 EDT 2005

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 11:51:02 -0500, tom wrote:

> The sequence goes like this:
> 1) When there is little or no money to be made, you start out with an
> implied status as a partner. This means you work long + extra hours for
> little pay on the promise that you will be rewarded when/if success comes.

Well, customers are NOT partners. You need a contract when you deal with
customers. It is not a team work, it is selling and buying. And you are
selling. This is a third year that I am working as a freelance, and,
during unofficial conversations with customers representatives,
I have heard many phrases like:
"I am your ally", "covering your back", "we are the team", and I never fell
for any of them. I agreed in general, never been impolite, but went on my
way.  And I never forgot, neither let customers forget, that I am selling, and they are
buying, and we are not the team.

DG