1980's Home Computer-style Package.

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Fri Jun 17 00:31:50 EDT 2005

On Thursday 16 June 2005 11:09 am, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> > > Some years ago I saw a Python package or program that gave a
> > > programming environment similar to the BASICs of 1980's home
> > > computers.  You got a cursor-addressable screen, e.g. PRINT TAB(10,
> > > 20) "Hello", and some simple pixel-setting functions, e.g. RECTANGLE
> > > FILL 0, 10, 20, 30.

> > Wild-ass guess, but you might try googling for "turtle python".
> OK, I've done that but it didn't help; it wasn't tied in with Turtle

Well, it might be LiveWires' python package:

http://www.livewires.org.uk/python/

It's a free-licensed python module and it does provide some basic
graphics capabilities, much like what you are describing.  Even if
it isn't what you remember, I bet it would serve.

The course materials are interesting, too. Very game oriented --- almost
every project ends with some sort of computer game the child can
play after they've got it working.  I know that'd be a good motivator
for my kids, anyway. ;-)