add new modules?

Dennis Clark dlc at io.frii.com
Fri Jun 17 14:26:47 EDT 2005

This is a total newb question, you have been warned...

I've been all over the www.python.org site and googled, but I've not
found just how to add new modules.  I've tried setting PYTHONPATH,
I've tried putting the new module directories into the site-packages
directory, I've tried creating the .pth files, I've even done all
three of these things at the same time and still my python script
refuses to import.  What is the cannonical way to add new modules
to python?  I am running on OS X 10.4 (Macintosh obviously) on basically
freeBSD, os I'm doing UNIX type stuff at the console.

thanks for any help,
DLC