When someone from Britain speaks, Americans hear a "British accent"...

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Jun 28 23:18:25 EDT 2005

On 2005-06-29, Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> wrote:

>> The problem which a lot of fairly-midstream American accent users face
>> is that it's the same sort of thing which Brits try and imitate when
>> they want to suggest a snake-oil salesman.
>
> And due to overcorrection, typically do a really bad job of it :-).

That reminds me of a character in one of the old Dr. Who
series.  I thought this character had some sort of speach
impediment. After a few episodes I caught a few cultural
allusions made by the character and it finally dawned on me the
the character was supposed to be an _American_.

I assume that when I try to speak with a British accent I sound
just as bad to a Brit.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Why is everything
                                  at               made of Lycra Spandex?