Favorite non-python language trick?

George Sakkis gsakkis at rutgers.edu
Fri Jun 24 13:34:30 EDT 2005

"Joseph Garvin" wrote:

> I'm curious -- what is everyone's favorite trick from a non-python
> language? And -- why isn't it in Python?

Although it's an optimization rather than language trick, I like the
inline functions/methods in C++. There has been a thread on that in the
past (http://tinyurl.com/8ljv5) and most consider it as useless and/or
very hard to implement in python without major changes in the language
(mainly because it would introduce 'compile-time' lookup of callables
instead of runtime, as it is now). Still it might be useful to have for
time-critical situations, assuming that other optimization solutions
(psyco, pyrex, weave) are not applicable.

George