building of extensions on HPUX does not take CFLAGS into account

Fri Jun 17 02:45:43 EDT 2005

For compiling a fresh snapshot of python on HPUX11/itanium we configure
it as follows:

<cmd>
CPPFLAGS="+DD64"
export CPPFLAGS
CC=/opt/aCC/bin/aCC
export CC
CFLAGS="-Ae +DD64"
export CFLAGS
CXX=/opt/aCC/bin/aCC
export CXX
CXXFLAGS="-Ae +DD64"
export CXXFLAGS
LDFLAGS="+DD64"
export LDFLAGS
cd dist/src
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/python --with-cxx=aCC --without-gcc
--without-threads
make
#make install
</cmd>

Mind the flag '+DD64' which is necessary to force the resulting objects
to be 64bit objects.

However, the flag '+DD64' is dropped when compiling the extensions (see
the log in attachment that contains the standard output and standard
error of the whole configure and make process). This results in compiler
errors obviously warning about incompatibilities between 32 and 64 bit
parts.

Any suggestions on how we can configure python to use the '+DD64' flag
also when compiling the extensions?

Moreover,  only the file 'Modules/ccpython.cc' is compiled with aCC,
whereas the others are compiled with 'cc' (see the log in attachment) :
another suggestion ?

Thanks in advance,