Office COM automatisation - calling python from VBA

guy lateur guy.lateur at pandora.be
Fri Jun 24 15:49:05 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I am trying to write some code (macro's, if you like) to glue together
our Office applications (mainly Word, Excel and Outlook). We have a lot
of different projects going on simultaneously. The idea is to develop a
centralized framework (starting point, common interface) for my users
to view/control their documents/correspondence, on a per project basis.

As an example, I'd like to have a control (button, menu entry) in
Outlook that allows my users to bring up, say, an email for a certain
contact (architect, owner, engineer, ..) on a certain project, with
certain attachments, .. Currently, I have a 'public folder' in OL
(Exchange) that reflects our project structure.

I'll be using COM, and I could probably make an application that
controls Outlook (externally). But I'd also like to have this
functionality exposed in OL itself. So I guess I'll need to use VBA,
but I don't really like VBA - relax, please, it's just an opinion.. ;)

So, ideally, I'd like to program as much as possible in python (I'm
pretty new to that, too, btw), and only use VBA if needed - say, to
call python objects/methods (+ wxGUI, please).

Would that be an easy, a hard, or an insane strategy? Maybe there are
some tutorials on this (searched the list, but didn't quite find any).
If anyone happens to have any xp/tips on this, please, fire away!

Best regards,