method = Klass.othermethod considered PITA

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jun 5 03:34:37 EDT 2005

> Steven Bethard wrote:
>
>> John J. Lee wrote:
>>
>>> It seems nice to do this
>>>
>>> class Klass:
>>>
>>>     def _makeLoudNoise(self, *blah):
>>>
>>>     woof = _makeLoudNoise
>>
>> Out of curiosity, why do you want to do this?

I have occasionally seen this usage where it made sense.  I vaguely
remember cases where the same function/method met two demands that required
two different names.  An example would be a __special__ method also exposed
publicly as 'special' ( something) without the underscores.  Or some other
interface required a different name.

A related usage is a true specialization in which one or more parameters is
given a default or constant value.

Terry J. Reedy