whois like functionality on Windows?

Gerrit Muller gerrit.muller at embeddedsystems.nl
Wed Jun 29 02:46:14 EDT 2005

Peter, Thomas,

thanks for your suggestion. I did indeed look broader than whois, and
reverse DNS maybe a better description. Unfortunately I did try the
socket.gethostbyaddr("194.109.137.226"), but the result was a
disappointing "host not found", both at home on an XP machine as well as
at work on a NT machine. Your comments stimulated me too experiment with
this apporach, and I discovered that unresolved IP addresses in my old
logfiles return "host not found". However many IP addresses in my new
logfile can be translated successfully! Apparantly there are IP
addresses that cannot be reversely resolved by the DNS servers. I did
translate these addresses manually so far via the whois service. So you
definitely helped me a lot, but I keep interested in a complementary
whois solution.

kind regards, Gerrit

--
Gaudi systems architecting: