Non-blocking raw_input

Jorge Louis de Castro jobauk at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 28 06:29:35 EDT 2005

Thanks very much for you reply.

I have indeed tried the msvcrt module but none of the examples given works
as described on a XP+SP2 box.
I have also looked at the twisted module but some functions there do not
work on windows too, and I was told by one of the devs that it would stay
that way for some time.

Basically, I just want to wait for user input and echo it, though while the
user is not typing anything I'd like to have a background thread printing
"Come on, you're taking too long" or similar stuff.
The problem is that I can only read (and in batch) the background thread
printout messages on the console after feeding the raw_input function.

I can't find any examples or useful directions on the documentation and I've
spent a few days googling this to no avail.
Is it not possible to have the thread print its stuff and then return to
raw_input() ? Or use any function other than raw_input?

Any code examples, pseudo-code, or documentation directions will be highly
appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Cheers
jorge