Modules for inclusion in standard library?

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Tue Jun 28 18:54:47 EDT 2005

George Sakkis wrote:
> "Reinhold Birkenfeld" <reinhold-birkenfeld-nospam at wolke7.net> wrote:

>>For an easy, quick interactive interpreter, it's way to overloaded
>>with functions and too slow in startup.
>
> Too slow ? It doesn't take more than a second or two to startup in a
> two years old 1.8Ghz Athlon and an older 900Mhz sparcv9 I usually work
> on. How slow is it at platforms you have experience with ?

I think that it loads up too much stuff to be the default interpreter,
speed issues aside. Sometimes, you really need to debug something that
requires you to control the imports.

It's a moot point anyways. The current ipython codebase isn't in any
shape to go into the stdlib, and the rewrite hasn't quite begun, yet.
Ask again in a year or two.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu