Create our own python source repository

Brian van den Broek bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca
Tue Jun 21 14:33:42 EDT 2005

Michele Simionato said unto the world upon 21/06/2005 07:58:
> qwwee:
>
>>for a certain argument I'd prefer an application fully
>>explained (also if not covering all the features) to a more general
>>tutorial with only brief and unrelated code snippets.
>>Unfortunately, that's not the way things are normally done, because it
>>is much harder to build a useful application and fully comment it
>

> A part the Cookbook, I know of at least two Python books taking the
> approach you describe:
>
> 1. Dive into Python (Pilgrim)
> 2. Programming Python (Lutz)
>
> Dive into Python is free (and even translated in Italian on
> www.python.it, IIRC)
>
>               Michele Simionato

Not free, but:

Practical Python, published by the same press as the Pilgrim, steps
through incremental approaches to large (by book standards)
applications. From the author's site:

"Hetland devotes the second half of the book to project development,
taking great care to choose a series of ten increasingly complex
applications that are of timely and wide-ranging interest to
burgeoning and expert developers alike. Project focus includes
automated document conversion, newsgroup administration, graphical PDF
document generation, remote document maintenance, the creation of a
peer-to-peer system with XML-RPC, database integration, and GUI and
game development.
"
http://hetland.org/writing/practical-python/

best,