pickle broken: can't handle NaN or Infinity under win32

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jun 22 18:02:57 EDT 2005

"Grant Edwards" <grante at visi.com> wrote in message
news:11bjeckpaq4ir8e at corp.supernews.com...
> The bit patterns are defined by the IEEE 754 standard.  If
> there are Python-hosting platoforms that don't use IEEE 754 as
> the floating point representation, then that can be dealt with.
>
> Python has _tons_ of platform-specific code in it.

More, I believe, than the current maintainers would like.  Adding more
would probably require a commitment to maintain the addition (respond to
bug reports) for a few years.

> Why all of a sudden is it taboo for Python to impliment
> something that's not universally portable and defined in a
> standard?

??

Perhaps you wrote this before reading my last post reporting that some
NaN/Inf changes have already been made for 2.5.  I believe that more would
be considered if properly submitted.

>  Where's the standard defining Python?

The Language and Library Reference Manuals at python.org.

Terry J. Reedy