What is different with Python ?

Claudio Grondi claudio.grondi at freenet.de
Wed Jun 15 15:59:12 EDT 2005

> Yes, both the sun and the moon have gravitational fields which affect
> tides.  But the moon's gravitational field is much stronger than the
sun's,
> so as a first-order approximation, we can ignore the sun.

Here we are experiencing further small lie which found its way
into a text written by an author probably not aware, that he is
creating it.
I have picked it out, not because I am so biased towards
the very detail, but because it is a good example of how hard
it is to discuss without creating small lies one after another.

The school books are filled with statements similar to the above
causing endless confusion and misunderstandings.

"the moon's gravitational field is much stronger than the sun's"
Sure it is the opposite, i.e. the gravitational field of the sun is
much stronger than that of the moon. What was intended to
state is probably, that the gravitational force caused by attraction
of the masses of earth and the sun applied to earth is lower
than the gravitational force caused by attraction of the masses
of earth and the moon (applied to earth).
I am sure, that if someone will analyse the statement above
deep enough he will find some more small lies originated
by the temptation to keep any statements short and simple
without giving a precise definition of all assumptions
required to be known in order to understand it right.

What leads to confusion is also the explanation that the water
of the oceans is attracted by the moon. It is only half of the
true. The another half is, that the moon is attracted by the
water of the oceans. It is very interesting, that in the minds
of many people the gravitational force acts only on one body.
Many think I am stupid, when I try to insist that the gravitational
force a human body exerts on earth is the same as that which
the earth exerts on a human body.
"the human body is so small, so the gravitational force it exerts
on earth can be neglected compared to the gravitational force
the earth exerts on the human body" is the explanation.

The problem of science is, that for communication of its findings
it has to use the same language which is used also for many other
purposes. The problem of text writers is, that it is so convienient
to use shortcuts to what one thinks, but has just forgotten to mention
before. It is also common to expresses own thoughts in an
inappropriate way because at the moment the right words are just
not there.

Hope this above has cleared away all what was clear before ;/)

What has it all to do with Python? To be not fully off-topic, I
suggest here,  that it is much easier to discuss programming
related matters (especially in case of Python :-) or mathematics
than any other subjects related to nature, because programming is
_so easy_ compared to what is going on in the "real world".
I see the reason for that in the fact, that programming is based
on ideas and rules developed by humans themselves, so it is
relatively easy to test and proove if statements are right or not.
Exception is when the source code is hidden like the rules
directing the behaviour of our Universe, what sure shouldn't be
interpreted, that people hiding source code behave more
like The Creator than others making it public  ;/)

Claudio

news:roy-568484.09073015062005 at reader1.panix.com...