Dealing with marketing types...

flyingfred0 flyingfred0 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 22:07:00 EDT 2005

A small software team (developers, leads and even the manager when he's
had time) has been using (wx)Python/PostgreSQL for over 2 years and
developed a successful 1.0 release of a client/server product.

A marketing/product manager has brought in additional management and
"architecture" experts to propose moving the entire thing to a Java
(application server) platform for the next release.  They want a
"scalable, enterprise solution" (though they don't really know what that
means) and are going crazy throwing around the Java buzzwords (not to
mention XML).

The developers (including myself) are growing uneasy; the management is
continuing to push their requirements and ignore the engineers.  I think
there's still hope, but I'm at a loss for ideas beyond pointing out the
success stories of Python and Zope and language comparisons between
Python and Java.

What experiences have those in the Python community had in these kinds
of situations?