Thoughts on Guido's ITC audio interview

Simon Brunning simon.brunning at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 06:18:44 EDT 2005

On 6/26/05, John Roth <newsgroups at jhrothjr.com> wrote:
> What's being ignored is that type information is useful for other things
> than compile type checking. The major case in point is the way IDEs
> such as IntelliJ and Eclipse use type information to do refactoring, code
> completion and eventually numerous other things. A Java programmer
> using IntelliJ or Eclipse can eliminate the advantage that Python
> used to have, and possibly even pull ahead.

I'm a Java programmer as my day job, most of the time, and I use
Eclipse. I'm fairly proficient with it, but nevertheless I'm more
productive with Python and SciTE than I am with Java and Eclipse.
Eclipse helps a lot, true - I certainly wouldn't want to code Java
without it or something like it - but it's not enought to pull ahead
of Python's inherent superiority.

--
Cheers,
Simon B,