extreme newbie

Paul Rubin http
Fri Jun 17 21:07:49 EDT 2005

"cpunerd4" <cpunerd4 at gmail.com> writes:
>   I stumbled onto the python language by chance and it looks like a
> great language. Although from what I've read so far (which isn't much)
> I've guessed that python is purely an interpreted language unless its
> compiled into another language (ie. it needs python installed in order
> to run programs). Is this correct?

Yes, you need to install Python one way or another.

> If it is, I guess my plan of action
> would be to use python embeded in java applets.

Just install Python and use it.  There's a Java/Python implementation
called Jython but don't worry about it for now.

>  Another question I have: Does any one know any really good, really
> easy to understand python books?

Try "Dive Into Python", www.diveintopython.org (site is very slow
right now, try later).  Also the online tutorial,

   http://docs.python.org/tut/tut.html

is pretty good, though not in as much depth.

> P.S. I'm 14 and I know HTML, PHP, and I know about many others!

If you're good at PHP, then Python shouldn't be much trouble.