Destructive Windows Script

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jun 6 15:20:33 EDT 2005

"Dennis Lee Bieber" <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
news:ioh7a1liqm1qpu0a1l0qmmb7n3gqehtl26 at 4ax.com...
> My previous facility didn't even accept mil-spec wipes -- all
> disk drives leaving the facility had to go through a demagnitizer,

OT but I am curious: does a metallic case act as a metallic shield, so that
the case needs to be opened to do this?  (Conversely, is a magnet near a
disk drive a danger to it?)

> wiped everything, including control tracks, and played <bleep> with the
> R/W head and positioning magnets.

I take this to mean the the drive is non-functional and might have well
been melted, except that demagnetising is cheaper.

TJR