ElementTree Namespace Prefixes

Oren Tirosh oren.tirosh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 06:53:36 EDT 2005

> you forgot
>
>    http://effbot.org/zone/element-infoset.htm
>
> which describes the 3-node XML infoset subset used by ElementTree.

No, I did not forget your infoset subset. I was comparing it with other
infoset subsets described in various XML specifications.

I agree 100% that prefixes were not *supposed* to be part of the
document's meaning back when the XML namespace specification was
written, but later specifications broke that.

Please take a look at http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-c14n#NoNSPrefixRewriting

"... there now exist a number of contexts in which namespace prefixes
can impart information value in an XML document..."

"...Moreover, it is possible to prove that namespace rewriting is
harmful, rather than simply ineffective."