optparse.py: FutureWarning error

Magnus Lycka lycka at carmen.se
Wed Jun 8 04:43:29 EDT 2005

Terry Reedy wrote:
> This should REALLY be on the doc page of the Python site.
Agreed.

> It is really time to stop pretending that the only Python users
> that count have a *nix on their desk.
I agree with this too, but if you're a programmer
on the Windows platform with possibility to install
software on the machine you work with, I strongly
suggest that you install cygwin or something
equivalent. Not just for "man python". Tools like
grep and find are vastly superior to anything I've
seen natively on windows if you want to process the
data you find in some automated way.

In my experience, Windows 2000 and later are fairly
decent operating systems if you have Python and
cygwin installed, but I'd feel awfully handicapped
without those tools.