Python choice of database

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Jun 20 11:33:30 EDT 2005

Philippe C. Martin wrote:
> I am looking for a stand-alone (not client/server) database solution for
> Python.
>
> 1) speed is not an issue
> 2) I wish to store less than 5000 records
> 3) each record should not be larger than 16K
>
> As I start with Python objects, I thought of using shelve, but looking at
> the restrictions (record size + potential collisions) I feel I should study
> my options a bit further before I get started.

You don't say whether you want *pure* Python solutions, so I'll suggest
pysqlite which wraps the SQLite embedded database in a pretty much
totally transparent fashion and is highly effective, fast, compact,
reliable (so far, in my experience), and clean.

You also don't say whether you want a SQL database, so if you are free
to try anything, you might look at ZODB or Durus (think of it as a
lighter-weight ZODB).  I believe Durus is pure Python, but it might have
some C code for performance (like ZODB).  It's not SQL, and should
perhaps be thought of (as it describes itself) as an object persistence
solution, rather than a "database".

-Peter