Python for everything?

Larry Bates lbates at syscononline.com
Thu Jun 30 17:10:39 EDT 2005

Short answer is yes.

Longer answer: You will still need C for device drivers and other
applications that have high performance demands.  Calling C from
Python is quite easy.  Python can be used from short "shell" scripting
to projects that very large (see Zope, Plone, ReportLab, etc).  Other
than C, Python is the only language that I've been able to write
Windows Services (or *nix daemons), COM objects, GUI programs, text
programs, and headless programs (e.g. programs that produce no
console output).  I'm much more productive with Python.  By choosing
Python you commit to learning one language extremely well instead of
jumping all over with different languages that you can remember only
poorly.  When new version of Python ships, you just learn what is new.
If you try to keep up with C, C++, Visual Basic, ... it gets to be
impossible.

Hope information helps.

Larry Bates