binary file

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Mon Jun 20 13:38:19 EDT 2005

Nader Emami wrote:
> Kent Johnson wrote:
>
>> Nader Emami wrote:
>>
>>> L.S.,
>>>
>>> I have used the profile module to measure some thing as the next
>>> command:
>>>
>>> profile.run('command', 'file')
>>>
>>> But this make a binary file! How can I write the result of 'profile'
>>> in a ascii file? Others how can I read (or convert) the binary file
>>> to am ascii file?
>>

>> Use an instance of pstats.Stats to interpret the results:
>>
>> from pstats import Stats
>> s = Stats('file')
>> s.print_stats()
>>
>> etc.
>> http://docs.python.org/lib/profile-stats.html
>>
>> Kent
>
> I got the same result as the execution of command. But I would like to
> write to the an external 'ascii' file!

Oh, I get it, pstats.Stats doesn't have a way to send the output to a file. That's surprising!

One option would be to write a program that outputs what you want, then redirect the output in the shell. Alternatively take a look a the source for print_stats() and write your own that outputs to a file.

Kent