What is different with Python ?

Rocco Moretti roccomoretti at hotpop.com
Mon Jun 20 15:13:12 EDT 2005

Andrea Griffini wrote:

> Indeed when talking about if learning "C" can hinder
> or help learning "C++" I remember thinking that to
> learn "C++" *superficially* learning "C" first is
> surely pointless or can even hinder.
> But to learn "C++" deeply (with all its quirks) I
> think that learning "C" first helps.

I think you are mistakingly bringing order into the picture, when extent
is more likely the case. If you want to master C++, I think that most
would agree you need to understand C. But there are many who would
disagree that the path to C++ must *start* at C. (In fact, many people
argue that a lot of bad C++ is due to people programming C in C++.)
Instead they would argue that you should start by learning C++
"superficially", then learn C, and re-evaluate you C++ practices in
light of the lessons learned from C.

The example I'll pull out is natural languages - I understood the
grammar & construction of my native tounge *much* better after learning
a foreign language. From people I've talked to, this is a common
occurance. But there would be few people who would advocate that one
should learn a foreign language before learning one's native tounge.