provide 3rd party lib or not... philosophical check

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Fri Jun 3 01:34:54 EDT 2005

Maurice LING wrote:
> Just a philosophical check here. When a program is distributed, is it
> more appropriate to provide as much of the required 3rd party libraries,
> like SOAPpy, PLY etc etc, in the distribution itself or it is the
> installer's onus to get that part done?

Depends on who you are delivering the software to.

I've made distributions that include everything.  Often for people
who don't want to install other software.

I've made distributions that assume several other packages were
already installed.  Often for people who are Python developers
or who were okay with simple doing installation.

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com