Start application & continue after app exits

Guy Lateur guy.lateur at b-b.be
Fri Jun 10 05:20:38 EDT 2005

This may be getting somewhat OT, but I'd like to dig a little deeper into
this.

First of all, security (as in some other proces reading/disclosing the data)
is not an issue in this case. The thing is, though, a user could run the
script twice, not having closed Word after the first time. So I guess I need
unique filenames. Am I right in assuming "tmpFile =
tempfile.NamedTemporaryFile()" does that automatically?

More generally speaking, I'm not sure it's a question of windows vs linux. I
often have files open in UltraEdit, which I can then change in some other
proces. When I reactivate UEdit, it updates (or closes) the file. So maybe
it loads the file in memory and then closes it, and then opens it again for
writing. Or something..

To be honest, I don't really understand what it means to have the same file
open for writing by several processes. You don't want to modify data which
is already being modified by someone else, do you? I mean, how do you
determine what changes to apply first, and to what version? Or is the file
just constantly being overwritten on a first-come-first-served basis?

I may well be completely braindead, here..