Modules for inclusion in standard library?

Simon Brunning simon.brunning at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 05:55:58 EDT 2005

On 6/28/05, John Roth <newsgroups at jhrothjr.com> wrote:
> I'd definitely like to see ctypes. I can agree with the segfault
> issue, but I think that some design work would eliminate that.

I'm not sure that it would. Ctypes allows you, as one colleague
memorably put it, to "poke the operating system with a stick". You are
always going to be able to use ctypes to provoke spectacular crashes
of the kind that you can never get with 'ordinary' Python.

Having said that, I'd like to see ctypes in the standard library
anyway, with a suitably intimidating warning in the docs about the
trouble you can get yourself into with it.

--
Cheers,
Simon B,