*Python* Power Tools

Ville Vainio ville at spammers.com
Wed Jun 22 05:06:39 EDT 2005

    John> For windows users, apart from cygwin, there are a couple of
    John> sources of binaries for *x command-line utilities (unxutils,
    John> gnuwin32).

unxutils is my personal favourite - cygwin is way too much an
"environment", and gets broken too easily.

I for one would like to see various shell tools implemented in pure
python, if only to be able to import them as a module and use cross
platform tools that have more power than e.g. 'shutil' or 'os'
functions. The API exposed through the module (as opposed to normal
execution from shell) could also be much richer, providing hooks for
calling own stuff for just-in-time error handling, progress
notification etc.

So no, it doesn't seem like bad idea at all. It's also something that
could evolve gradually, and reach a useful stage (i.e. have several
handy tools) quickly.

--
Ville Vainio   http://tinyurl.com/2prnb