Formatting Time

darren kirby bulliver at badcomputer.org
Fri Jun 3 06:42:32 EDT 2005

quoth the Ognjen Bezanov:
> I never thought id need help with such a thing as time formatting
> (admittadly i never did it before) but ok, i guess there is a first for
> everything.
>
> I have a float variable representing seconds, and i want to format it
> like this:
>
> 0:00:00  (h:mm:ss)
>
> Now search as I might i am finding this quite elusive, i had a look at
> the time module but that seems overly complicated for this. Anyone got
> any simple solutions to doing this? cheers!

def printTime(seconds):
    hours = seconds / 3600
    seconds = seconds - (hours * 3600)
    minutes = seconds / 60
    seconds = seconds - (minutes * 60)
    print "%i:%s:%s" % (hours, str(minutes).zfill(2), str(seconds).zfill(2))

I am certainly no pro at python but this seems to do it for me. I am sure
someone could write it much more elegantly. I am still a little confused as
to how you have a float that represents seconds? This will only work if
'seconds' is an int ( al la ' 44342865') but maybe it could help you?

-d