Help me to log-in

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Jun 23 18:26:48 EDT 2005

"Apple Grew" <applegrew at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:42BB156F.3060305 at gmail.com...
> Well can anyone tell me how do I login into newsgroup using Mozilla
> 1.7.7. What should be the username? (I tried with with my e-mail address
> I subscribed with but failed to log-in). The password asked during
> log-in is the one I subscribed with?

You don't log into newsgroups.  You do log into newsservers when they
require you to do so.   If and when you do so, you use the userid and
password given to you or possibly selected by you.  The userid is typically
not your email address.

You usually also have to 'register' the account with your newsreader,
telling it whether login is required and if so, the id and passwd.  It then
does the login for you.

The server news.gmane.org turns several technical mailing lists into
newsgroups.  For instance, the python mail list becomes
gmane.comp.python.general.  It does not require login, so it would be an
easy one to start with.  You may notice that I am posting thru gmane.

Terry J. Reedy