ANN: pyparsing-1.3.1 released

Christopher Subich spam.csubich+block at block.subich.spam.com
Tue Jun 14 00:13:44 EDT 2005

Paul McGuire wrote:
> (sorry if this is a double-post - I tried posting this last night but I
> think GoogleGroups ate it)
>
> Pyparsing is a pure-Python class library for quickly and easily
> constructing recursive-descent parsers.  Pyparsing takes a
> "building-block" approach to parser construction, as opposed to code
> generation methods (such as lex/yacc) or pattern definition strings
> (such as regular expressions).

Funnily enough, I've been thinking about something exactly like this.
I've realized that my desired scripting language for the mud client I'm
writing is very much a CFG, so simple regexes aren't going to cut it.

The biggest issue for me is command syntax -- commands can have one of a
number of parameter formats (number and type of parameters can vary).
With a special command-marker at the beginning of the expression, I know
unambiguously what is a command and what is not, but I'd need to look up
in a dictionary (indexed by command name) the types.  Is the pyparsing
tokenizer flexible enough to let me do this sort of thing easily?