Fast text display?

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Wed Jun 8 17:23:02 EDT 2005

Christopher Subich wrote:
> You're off by a decimal, though, an 80-column line
> at 20ms is 4kbytes/sec.

D'oh!  Yeah, I did hundredths of a second instead of thousands.

> My guess is that any faster throughput than
> 10kbytes/sec is getting amusing for a mud, which in theory intends for
> most of this text to be read anyway.

Which is why I don't think you'll have a problem with any of
the standard GUI libraries.

> That looks quite good, except that Trolltech doesn't yet have a GPL-qt
> for Win32.

Cost and license weren't listed as requirements.  :)

You *did* say "hobby" though in post-hoc justification, I've known
people with some pretty expensive hobbies.

> See the scrolling problem in the original post, as to why I can't use it
> as a temporary user interface. :)

Indeed, but MUDs 15 years ago could run in a terminal and display
colored text via ANSI terminal controls, letting the terminal
itself manage history and scrolling.  I had some sort of TSR for
the latter, under DOS.

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com