add new modules?

Dennis Clark dlc at io.frii.com
Fri Jun 17 15:27:31 EDT 2005

Thanks all,

  My problem came when I set PYTHONHOME, apparently that is a bad thing
(in this case).  I know that I set it to the directory that python was
in, but something about that was "bad".  now everything works.

DLC

Robert Kern <rkern at ucsd.edu> wrote:
: Dennis Clark wrote:
: > This is a total newb question, you have been warned...
: >
: > I've been all over the www.python.org site and googled, but I've not
: > found just how to add new modules.  I've tried setting PYTHONPATH,
: > I've tried putting the new module directories into the site-packages
: > directory, I've tried creating the .pth files, I've even done all
: > three of these things at the same time and still my python script
: > refuses to import.  What is the cannonical way to add new modules
: > to python?  I am running on OS X 10.4 (Macintosh obviously) on basically
: > freeBSD, os I'm doing UNIX type stuff at the console.

: If you are using the Apple-supplied Python 2.3.5, put the modules in
: /Library/Python/2.3/site-packages/ . If you are using Bob Ippolito's
: Python 2.4.1, then it's
: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/lib/python2.4/site-packages
: .

: --
: Robert Kern
: rkern at ucsd.edu

: "In the fields of hell where the grass grows high
:   Are the graves of dreams allowed to die."
:    -- Richard Harter