When someone from Britain speaks, Americans hear a "British accent"...

Graham Fawcett graham.fawcett at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 10:27:47 EDT 2005

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Speaking as an Australia, ...
> [snip]
> But don't worry, there is one thing we all agree on throughout the
> English-speaking world: you Americans don't speak English.

And lest you feel Steven's observation don't bear much weight, keep in
mind that he is speaking as an entire continent. ;-)

But, speaking as Antarctica, I must disagree. I don't think the Keepers
of the Canon of the English Language(tm) would hold up either your
Strine or our Canadian regional accents as examples of Real English
Pronunciation(tm). But that's the kind of thing that canon-keepers
obsess about, while the rest of us just get along and communicate with
one another. (By "us", I mean "us people", not "us continents" -- I
stopped speaking as Antarctica a few lines back.)

keep-your-stick-on-the-ice'ly yours,

Graham