Scaling down (was Re: Dealing with marketing types...)

Paul Rubin http
Sun Jun 12 14:15:35 EDT 2005

aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) writes:
> So what?  I think you're missing the real point of the article: using
> LAMP scales *DOWN* in a way that enterprise systems don't.  Getting your
> first prototype up and running is far more important than sheer
> scalability,

There comes a day when your first prototype can no longer handle the
traffic.  The question then is how do you deal with that.

> and LAMP does have many mechanisms to obtain scalability when it's
> needed.

LAMP seems to have no solution other than scaling (i.e. blowing more
money on hardware and colo space).  One really gets the impression
that a more thoughtful design could handle the traffic without needing
to scale the hardware.