anygui,anydb, any opinions?

Rocco Moretti roccomoretti at hotpop.com
Wed Jun 1 17:54:09 EDT 2005

Skip Montanaro wrote:
>     Thomas> The Python world lacks the phenomenally successful development
>     Thomas> models enjoyed by the now ancient Turbo Pascal, Delphi and
>     Thomas> <gasp> Visual Basic.
>     Thomas>     AND
>     Thomas> If the likes of Visual Basic can have it, then it becomes
>     Thomas> really, *really* hard to convince the world that Python is a
>     Thomas> serious, professional system.
>
> Remember, in the open source community we all pretty much just scratch our
> itches.

It's worth mentioning that although we all scratch our own itches, not
everyone can make their own benzocaine lotion. I.e. we all have wants
and desires, but for most people the time/expertise available to them is
insufficient to satisfy those needs. So answering "You know what would
be great ..." with "Scratch your own itch!" is presumptuous, bordering
on rude.

That said, you're right:

> Given that for the most part nobody in the Python community has a
> handle on any other Python person's paycheck, it's unlikely that enough of
> the community ...

Given that we're all volunteers here (or at least volunteers w/r/t
random usenet posters) anyone *demanding* something out of the Python
community is vastly overstepping their position. But that doesn't mean
they can't wish for it politely.

Random usenet posters willing to throw money at the problem, though,
are another thing all together ...