computer algebra packages

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Wed Jun 8 01:49:09 EDT 2005

Rahul wrote:
> Hi.
> Well is there an open source computer algebra system written in python
> or at least having a python interface?
> I know of 2 efforts: pythonica and pyginac...are there any others?
>
> rahul

Not in the moment. But I have a question to you: why do you seek for a
CAS in Python? I ask this because I'm interested in such kind of stuff
and secretly working on one, but this is highly experimental, a proof
of the concept work and will probably not provide the amount of
features/packages of a commercial CAS like Mathematica and Maple in a
dozend years. There are also a couple of free CAS like Octave or Yacas,
that do their job. Why do people ask periodically for a CAS in Python
in this place? I'm just curious about it.

Kay